In typical fashion, I friended a bunch of people and then fucked right off Dreamwidth. Honestly, I've been focussed on writing and find it hard to find time to check or post on Dreamwidth or a lot of my social media. By some miracle I managed not to miss the first GYWO check-in (Reminder to self: another one coming up in a week). There's so much stuff I just do not have time for now that I am prioritizing the novel, like drawing, social media, exercise... Maybe I will find more balance once I finish the first draft, but I don't know. After a complete anxious breakdown near the end of January, I'm trying a new "do what you can and acknowledge you are not superhuman and it is okay not to do all the things and write all the words all the time" approach. So far, so good.
A few weeks ago
smirkingcat tagged me in the "10 Facts Meme." I am supposed to tag 12 people, but I feel like whoever made the meme is vastly overestimating how many friends a busy socially anxious introvert can have? So I shall tag
borealgrove,
nocturnus33,
nightfalltwen,
gelsey, and anyone else who wants to do it, understanding that it's very likely you all have done it already and I missed it.
Anyway, all my facts below the cut:
1. I am a food snob. I recognize that it requires a certain amount of privilege to be such, but I believe in supporting local organic farmers and businesses and ethically raised animals, and also it tastes so much better and stays fresher longer, and I love that I have direct relationships with the people who produce my food.
2. I drink probably 4-6 cups of tea a day. It's mostly earl grey (both regular and decaf) from a local tea shop, because of course my food snobbery also includes tea and coffee. Duh. I drink fair trade, locally blended/roasted or water.
3. My favourite tea ever is "Bombay Breakfast" from Jasmine Pearl Tea Merchants who are based in Portland, Oregon. Sadly they are unable to mail order to Canada, so whenever we go to Portland we buy a whole pound. The bag never lasts more than eight months even though we only drink it on weekends.
4. I've been riding horses since I was seven, owned a paint mare for five years, but haven't ridden a horse in two years. I really miss riding and would love to find another horse to lease.
5. The social media I use the most is YouTube, where I follow primarily a mix of Japanese vloggers, artists, and drum and bass music channels.
6. I've been curating a mostly liquid funk drum and bass playlist on YouTube for about four years. Currently it has about 1,000 songs on it, but it's constantly growing as I'm always adding new songs as I find them.
7. I own four copies of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: the original, the Gryffindor 20th anniversary edition, the illustrated edition, and the Scots translation which is probably the best thing I've ever read. I regret not buying the Japanese translation while in Japan.
8. I've been to Japan twice, and both times cried on the train back to the airport because I didn't want to leave. I'd love to take an extended holiday there (like the max allowable on a tourist visa, which I think is 90 days), but I have no idea how I would ever pay for it.
9. The longest I've ever been away from home is six weeks, which was in my early 20s when I went backpacking alone in Europe. During that trip, I visited England, Scotland, France, and Italy. Of all the places I visited, I most enjoyed Edinburgh, Paris, and Cinque Terre. I hated London on that trip, but went back in 2016 and really loved it!
10. One of my guilty pleasures is Martha Stewart Living magazine. I don't aspire to live like that at all (cue "nobody got time for that" meme), but it has good recipes, and I feel like it's one of my few odd connections to my upper-middle-class upbringing. I've been reading it for more than 15 years!
There you have it. If you want to know anything else about me, just ask.
A few weeks ago
Anyway, all my facts below the cut:
1. I am a food snob. I recognize that it requires a certain amount of privilege to be such, but I believe in supporting local organic farmers and businesses and ethically raised animals, and also it tastes so much better and stays fresher longer, and I love that I have direct relationships with the people who produce my food.
2. I drink probably 4-6 cups of tea a day. It's mostly earl grey (both regular and decaf) from a local tea shop, because of course my food snobbery also includes tea and coffee. Duh. I drink fair trade, locally blended/roasted or water.
3. My favourite tea ever is "Bombay Breakfast" from Jasmine Pearl Tea Merchants who are based in Portland, Oregon. Sadly they are unable to mail order to Canada, so whenever we go to Portland we buy a whole pound. The bag never lasts more than eight months even though we only drink it on weekends.
4. I've been riding horses since I was seven, owned a paint mare for five years, but haven't ridden a horse in two years. I really miss riding and would love to find another horse to lease.
5. The social media I use the most is YouTube, where I follow primarily a mix of Japanese vloggers, artists, and drum and bass music channels.
6. I've been curating a mostly liquid funk drum and bass playlist on YouTube for about four years. Currently it has about 1,000 songs on it, but it's constantly growing as I'm always adding new songs as I find them.
7. I own four copies of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: the original, the Gryffindor 20th anniversary edition, the illustrated edition, and the Scots translation which is probably the best thing I've ever read. I regret not buying the Japanese translation while in Japan.
8. I've been to Japan twice, and both times cried on the train back to the airport because I didn't want to leave. I'd love to take an extended holiday there (like the max allowable on a tourist visa, which I think is 90 days), but I have no idea how I would ever pay for it.
9. The longest I've ever been away from home is six weeks, which was in my early 20s when I went backpacking alone in Europe. During that trip, I visited England, Scotland, France, and Italy. Of all the places I visited, I most enjoyed Edinburgh, Paris, and Cinque Terre. I hated London on that trip, but went back in 2016 and really loved it!
10. One of my guilty pleasures is Martha Stewart Living magazine. I don't aspire to live like that at all (cue "nobody got time for that" meme), but it has good recipes, and I feel like it's one of my few odd connections to my upper-middle-class upbringing. I've been reading it for more than 15 years!
There you have it. If you want to know anything else about me, just ask.
no subject
Date: 28 February 2018 02:32 am (UTC)I too own four copies of PS! Though my 20th anniv. edition is the Slytherin one, and I have the Japanese translation rather than the Scots... but having just looked up a preview of the Scots one... I feel like I should have that edition too... lmao
lol @ Martha Stewart Living...
And speaking of, have you seen Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart's talk/variety show? It's pretty damn funny and somehow it works lol!
no subject
Date: 10 March 2018 06:33 am (UTC)The Scots edition is the flipping best. Only vaguely related but it just popped into my head... have you seen Scottish Pokemon? It's so wrong but so good. I would love to find a fanfic where Ginny roundhouse kicks someone for calling her "ginger minge."
yes! I freaking love that Martha Stewart and Snoop Dog are friends. Amazing.